History of 'all about the mckenzies'
• Idea Conception
• Original director quit on second day of filming leaving Samuell to learn directing on the spot
• A rough pilot was filmed on £50 with lack of resources and was stolen by cameraman
• Samuell went to Hollywood Black Film Festival (HBFF), this was where he discovered
what a webseries was.
• Met the founder of LA WEBFEST and was told to do a webseries to enter into next
• Filmed show again as a webseries and entered LAWEBFEST
• Selected for LA WEBFEST screening and Samuell travelled back to LA
• Won an award for Great Ensemble Cast in a Comedy at the festival.
• The show was put onto YouTube for the first time and got a lot of media attention
• Various magazine/newspaper/radio interviews
• Rejected by Various TV UK Networks
• Was told show was ‘too black’ by a BBC TV exec
• Approached by GRM Daily (an urban media company) but they offered Samuell no money
• Approached by SBTV (an urban media company) but they offered Samuell no money
• Original YouTube channel corrupted and new YouTube channel created losing 3 million views.
• Rejected for a community arts grant.
•Won 'Best Webseries' at the BEFFTAS (Black Entertainment Fashion Film and TV awards).
•Met a new friend who was willing to grant Samuell money to make longer episodes
• Filmed series 2
• Youth Media of the month in May by the Youth Media Agency
• Screening at Rich Mix Cinema in Shoreditch
• Samuell attempted to charge for the episodes to be watched via Vimeo on demand
but was unsuccessful
• Contacted by London Live
• London Live launched and acquired series 2 as their first piece of content for the network
• Filmed series 3 with the hopes of another acquisition from London Live
• Dropped by acting agency IAG
• Samuell moved into new flat with acquisition money
• Highest ratings on London Live with the show for two months
• London Live receives bad press for the network overall. They rebranded and dropped All About The McKenzies
• Samuell moved back in with parents
• Talk at the Apple store Regent Street - 3 people turned up. Samuell embarrassed
• Christmas time a cast member committed suicide
• Rejected by other TV networks
• Samuell thinks to leave the UK for good as tired of the industry not recognising his show.
• Attended funeral for dead cast member
• Moved to LA
• Approached NBC but couldn’t get through the door so left DVDS in a local Starbucks that network executives used.
• Got a job as a server in Bubba Gumps in Universal city, with the hopes of network executives coming in so he could tell them about the show.
• Various auditions and awarded no parts.
• Accepted for a screening at (ABFF) American Black Film Festival in NYC.
• Screening at Chinese Theatre in Hollywood
• Wasn’t accepted for various meetings
• Wrote a Mckenzies film
•Samuell leaves LA after 7 months and returns to London
• Unemployed for most of the year
• Rejected by various companies for production work
• Samuell speaking at a few events
• Contacted by Patrick Younge former exec for BBC for possible ITV meeting
• ITV wants All About The McKenzies for their fresh season
• Great feedback and promising for a series
• New controller employed, All About The McKenzies thrown out for consideration of a series. Samuell completely broken
• Samuell working a normal job and finding himself
• Rejected from various companies for production work
• Samuell asked to speak on panel for Yellowspot Collective on the subject of webseries
• Interview on London Live for the Yellowspot event.
• Rewriting/Rebranding the show